VMware – Virtual Machine Consolidation Needed Status
One of my virtual machine stopped responding and was unable to Power-On. The machine reports an alarm with message “Virtual machine consolidation needed status”.
- Open the Snapshot Manger to identify the active snapshot.
- Right click the virtual machine and choose Edit Settings, verified to which VMDK disk the virtual machine Hard Disk was pointed.
Browse the datastore and navigate to this virtual machine folder. There we could see an orphaned Snapshot (size represented 28.18 KB).
Once again right click the virtual machine, navigate to Snapshot and Choose Consolidate
After the completion of this task, the virtual machine was able to Power-On and accessible.
Consolidating snapshots for a virtual machine
Note: Before proceeding, ensure to consider these points related to snapshot consolidation:
- The remove snapshot process can take a long time to complete if the snapshots are large.
- If the consolidation process is stopped before completing, it may result in data corruption.
- The virtual machine performance may be degraded while the snapshot consolidation process.
Latest posts by Melbin Mathew (see all)
- VMware virtual IDE to virtual SCSI hard disk conversion steps – Windows XP - August 6, 2015
- Stop Error “CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION - August 5, 2015
- Error installing Windows server role and feature required for the Exchange 2010 - December 3, 2013