Restart or Shut Down a Windows Remote Computer and Document the Event
As a System Administrator I used to perform restart or shutdown of Windows remote computers. This restart and shutdown procedure applies to most of the Windows operating systems, including Windows 2008, Windows7
A) Remote Desktop Access – RDP
Access the remote system using Windows Remote Desktop Connection and then directly restart or shutdown the machine.
B) Computer Management can be used to reboot or shutdown the remote computer.
1) Open Computer Management from the local machine, using compmgmt.msc command from Windows RUN
Go to Windows Start, Click All programs, Click Accessories, Click Run, Type compmgmt.msc and Click OK
2) In the console, right-click Computer Management (Local), and then click Connect to another computer, type the name or IP address of the remote computer that you want to restart or shut down, and then click OK
3) Right-click Computer Management (Remote computer name), and then click Properties. Navigate to Advanced tab, click Startup and Recovery, then click Shutdown to open the Action Windows from there choose the desired to option to reboot or shutdown the remote computer.
C) Use Shutdown.exe /i command to restart or shutdown a remote machine.
1) Go to Windows Start, Click All programs, Click Accessories and Click Command Prompt
2) Type shutdown.exe /i in the Command Prompt to open Remote Shutdown Dialog
3) Click Add and enter the IP address or name of the remote computer, which we need to restart or shutdown
4) Describe the event in Shutdown Event Tracker and Click OK, the log for the reboot or shutdown of the remote machine can found in its system Event viewer.
Remote Registry services need to enable in the remote computer for the successful logging of Events for the reboot or shutdown of the remote system.
1) On the computer, Go to Windows Start, Click All programs, Click Accessories, Click Run and type services.msc
2) Choose Remote Registry service and Start
Also refer my 2 posts about,
B) Methods to overcome the Access denied error while attempting to reboot or shutdown the remote computer. — Link to Open The Post
Latest posts by Melbin Mathew (see all)
- VMware virtual IDE to virtual SCSI hard disk conversion steps – Windows XP - August 6, 2015
- Stop Error “CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION - August 5, 2015
- Error installing Windows server role and feature required for the Exchange 2010 - December 3, 2013