I was checking the method of upgrading my ESX 4.0.0 version server to the newer version ESX4.0.1. The easiest way to complete the upgradation process is through the CLI command line interface.
The new version doesn’t include the packet upgradation utility. In the earlier version the upgradation utility works with vSphere client which helps us to complete the ESXi upgradation process through GUI interface.
To upgrade our ESXi server, first of all we need to download the suitable upgradation package from VMware website. In our scenario we are going to upgrade ESXi 4.0.0 version to ESXi 4.1.0 version. So I have selected ESXi 4.0.0 to ESXi 4.1.0 upgradation package and downloaded “upgrade-from-ESXi4.0-to-4.1.0-0.0.260247-release.zip” it from the VMware website.
If you haven’t installed VMware CLI application in the system, Go to VMware website and download the application from the link.
Once we have the upgradation package and CLI application, we are ready to upgrade our ESXi server to the latest version.
Open CLI interface and type the following commands (I guess you have correct ESXi root credentials to complete this task).
These are following set of command we need to enter through the CLI interface,
vicfg-hostops.pl –server IP address –operation enter
vihostupdate.pl –server IP address -i -b FilePath-release.zip -B ESXi410-GA-esxupdate
vihostupdate.pl –server IP address -i -b FilePath-release.zip -B ESXi410-GA
vihostupdate.pl –server IP address –query
vicfg-hostops.pl –server IP address –operation reboot
vicfg-hostops.pl –server IP address –operation exit
*PowerOFF or Migrate the virtual machines from the host to another one because we need to change to host status into Maintenance mode.
Let see, what’s happening in each steps,
· vicfg-hostops.pl –server 192.168.0.163 –operation enter
· vihostupdate.pl –server 192.168.0.163 -i -b C:UsersMelbinDesktopESXupgradeupgrade-from-ESXi4.0-to-4.1.0-0.0.260247-release.zip -B ESXi410-GA-esxupdate
· vihostupdate.pl –server 192.168.0.163 -i -b C:UsersMelbinDesktopESXupgradeupgrade-from-ESXi4.0-to-4.1.0-0.0.260247-release.zip -B ESXi410-GA
· vihostupdate.pl –server 192.168.0.163 –query
· vicfg-hostops.pl –server 192.168.0.163 –operation reboot
· vicfg-hostops.pl –server 192.168.0.163 –operation exit
Finally after the ESXi server reboot, we can see our server version is changed to ESX 4.1.0
We can see also see the server version from vSphere client (Help -> About VMware vSphere).
By checking the ESXi server version we can confirm we are successfully upgraded ESXi 4.0.0 version to ESXi 4.1.0
- Melbin Mathew
Latest posts by Melbin Mathew (see all)
- VMware virtual IDE to virtual SCSI hard disk conversion steps – Windows XP - August 6, 2015
- Stop Error “CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION - August 5, 2015
- Error installing Windows server role and feature required for the Exchange 2010 - December 3, 2013