How To Repair and recover Microsoft Outlook .PST File Using ScanPst.exe
Microsoft Outlook uses .pst files to store the user account information. It also stores different contents like emails, tasks, calendar, email contact etc.
In some conditions, improper shutdown of Outlook, bigger .pst file size etc. cause the damages to .pst files and thus loss of data. To recover the .pst file and bring it back to live we use a tool called scanpst.exe.
The name indicates scanpst.exe scanns the local MS Outlook .pst file and repair the damaged files.
Steps to Scan and repair Microsoft Outlook .pst File
- Locate scanpst.exe executer, by default this .exe is located inside the URL path “C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice12” or “C:Program FilesCommon FilesSystemMSMAPILocaleID”.
- Go to control panel -> Mail -> and find out the local Data file .pst location.
- Double click on scanpst.exe and show the location of your Outlook .pst file.
- Click on Start button to scanning the .pst file. The scanner will repair and rectify the damage of the .pst file.
Transferring Recovered PST File Data to New PST File
Once the repair finishes, Outlook creates a “Recovered” version of your .pst file, and you need to tell Outlook to use it rather than the old, damaged or corrupted .pst file.Next, you’ll need to point Outlook in the right direction, namely at the recovered .PST file: Start Outlook Normally Special Note: If Scanpst.exe wasn’t able to repair the .pst data file, you may need a stronger repair tool. Try scanning it with the Stellar Phoenix PST repair utility. Select Go from the top menu, choose Folder List:
With the Folder List open, you should see a Recovered Personal Folders folder with the usual Outlook Personal Folders, or a Lost and Found option.If the Lost and Found folder has a file that the Inbox Repair Tool successfully fixed, it will show up here. If it’s empty, the Repair Tool was unsuccessful.If you do see a fixed .pst file in the Lost and Found box, you’ll need to create a new .pst file to move the repaired file(s) to. After you’ve simply dragged the files over from the “Recovered” .pst file to the newly created .pst file , you can turf the Recovered Personal Folders contents.
Reference Link : http://www.petri.co.il/how-to-use-microsoft-outlook-inbox-repair-tool.htm
Latest posts by Melbin Mathew (see all)
- VMware virtual IDE to virtual SCSI hard disk conversion steps – Windows XP - August 6, 2015
- Stop Error “CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION - August 5, 2015
- Error installing Windows server role and feature required for the Exchange 2010 - December 3, 2013