HAL_INTIALIZATION_FAILED for Windows 8 and 2012 with VMware ESXi 5
My Windows 8 and 2012 server installation failed with error message “HAL_INTIALIZATION_FAILED ; Your PC run into a problem and needs to restart…” as described in the below attached image. I was trying to install both Operating systems as a new virtual machine in VMware ESXi 5 server. The ISO image was once again downloaded from Microsoft website to avoid any sort of ISO corruption, but the actual cause for the issue is not the ISO corruption, it was due to a BUG in VMware ESXi 5 server. And VMware have released a patch ESXi500-201112001 to fix the problem.
To override the HAL_INTIALIZATION_FAILED error, we need to patch the VMware ESXi 5 server to allow us to install Windows 8 or 2012 operating system. The patch ESXi500-201112001 is available for download from VMware patch download website.
The following steps are performed on ESXi 5 to resolve the HAL_INTIALIZATION_FAILED situation.
1. First of all SSH communication to the ESXi 5 needs to be enabled.
2. Download the patch ESXi500-201112001.zip file from VMware.
3. Browse appropriate datastore to upload the file.
4. Upload the ESXi500-201112001.zip file to a datastore.
5. Establish SSH connection to the ESXi 5 server using Putty.
6. Execute the command to patch the server,
esxcli software vib update –depot /vmfs/volumes/<dataStoreName>/<folderName>
7. The VMware ESXi 5 is now accepting me to deploy the new Windows 8 and 2012 operating systems.
My VMware ESXi 5 server build version was changed from Build 469512 to Build 515841.
Reference : VMware KB Article