VMware vSphere Error: Call "ServiceInstance.RetrieveContent" for object "ServiceInstance" on Server "IP address" failed.
The (404) Not Found error can be noticed while trying to login vSphere using HTTP protocol instead of HTTPS. Recommend way is to use the vCenter server name or IP address in the IP address / Name field of vSphere client.
I am attaching the error message for reference,
How to Enable SSH and Other Ports/Protocols in ESXi 5.0.0 through vSphere Client
To enable the required VMwaer ESXi Services from vSphere client
1. First login to the ESXi server with vSphere client and then select the configuration tab of the ESXi server. Go to services properties of the ESXi 5.0.0 server and choose the required service to enable.
2. Select the service (SSH) that need to configured and click the Options to configure the running mode of the VMware ESXi 5.0.0 services
3. The VMware ESXi services running state can be configured as per the requirement, to start the service select the start and then click start
Even the services are running the VMware ESXi service ports need to be opened to access the service, also we might need to block specific IP range to access the server that can be configured through the Firewall Ports setting of VMware ESXi Configuration tab.
To enable the required Firewall ports,
1. Go to server configuration tab and select Firewall Properties
2. Select the service (SSH) port to be opened and click Firewall. On the next windows configure the access points (IP address that need to allowed/blocked to the service) as per the requirement,